Position Title: Director of Operations
Reports To: Board of Directors (Board) via the Chairperson
Arizona Statewide Independent Living Council (AZSILC) is a federally mandated Council established under Title VII, Section 705 of the Rehabilitation Act, as amended in 1992. In Arizona, Governor’s Executive Order No.2007-15 documents the general provision of the Council. AZSILC is a nonprofit corporation that addresses issues related to the ability of individuals who have disabilities to live independently. The majority of Council/Board Members and Staff are individuals who have disabilities.
The Director of Operations provides leadership, coordination, guidance, and administrative support to Arizona Statewide Independent Living Council (the Council) and Committees of the Council comprised primarily of volunteers, in accordance with the State Plan for Independent Living and AZSILC strategic plan. Responsibilities involve managing the processes and procedures of the organization, serving as the public spokesperson for the organization, and representing the interests of persons who have a variety of disabilities in a statewide capacity.
Key Functions and Responsibilities include:
- Provides leadership, assistance, and guidance to the Council/Board of Directors and Committees to ensure the mission of the organization is followed. Provides reports to the Council in accordance with the evaluation procedure outlined in the State Plan for Independent Living.
- Under the direction of the Council, prepares the State Plan for Independent Living (SPIL) and the 704 Report, in conjunction with the Centers for Independent Living and the Designated State Entity.
- Advocates for the collective needs of people who have disabilities, participates in legislative sessions, educates elected officials, agencies, and organizations to develop and promote opportunities that will benefit people who have disabilities.
- Works in conjunction with the Director of Innovation and Independent Living Network partners to plan and develop initiatives, and projects, to benefit Arizonans who have disabilities; coordinates Independent Living Network meetings.
- Coordinates the processes and procedures of the organization in accordance with the organizational Bylaws, policies and procedures, State Plan for Independent Living, and other funder requirements.
- Works with the Board of Directors to develop and implement organizational Policies and Procedures; contributes to the production, publication, and distribution of organizational marketing/promotional materials.
- Ensures required documents and records for the organization, including, but not limited to Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, insurance, taxes, and minutes are maintained.
- Manages Human Resources, and provides direct supervision to designated AZSILC staff.
- Collaborates with Director of Innovation to develop, recommend, implement, review and manage budgets and contracts; oversees consolidated budget, and separate funding accounts; develops and maintains systems to monitor and manage financial performance, track monthly fund balances, and approve and modify expenditures as needed.
- Develops long-range needs assessment and funding plans; identifies, recommends, and secures adequate and diversified revenue sources. Ensures that finances are audited as required.
- Ensures that AZSILC membership meets the current requirements; conducts member recruitment activities to ensure diversity in all aspects; coordinates with Governor’s Office of Boards and Commissions to ensure appropriate and timely Appointments.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local laws, and ordinances including documentation and reporting.
- Bachelor’s degree and five years management experience preferred. A combination of education and relevant work experience may substitute. Preferred experience working in a Center for Independent Living or State Independent Living Council.
- Personal and professional experience with the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Personal and professional experience with disability rights, and the Independent Living Movement, and philosophy.
- Personal and professional experience with state and federal legislative processes, and self and systems advocacy.
- Effective interpersonal skills; demonstrated proficiency in written communication; ability to communicate clearly, succinctly, and in public.
- Demonstrated experience in nonprofit administration, fiscal accountability, and systems advocacy.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with diverse and multicultural populations.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Annual Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Medical Insurance
- Retirement Contribution
- Life Insurance
- Full-time, salaried, exempt position.
- In state travel, and occasional out of state travel required.
- Establish and work remotely from a home office located within the greater Phoenix area, utilizing technology to perform the essential functions of the position.
Starting Salary: $50,000-$55,000.
Other: Criminal background check will be required.
Email Resume, Cover Letter, and References by October 31, 2018 to:
Melissa Ann Santora, Interim Executive Director
Please place Director of Operations Application in subject line.